The end of summer will be soon upon us, and I don’t know about you, but I’m looking for some new snacks.
I’ve had about all of the watermelon I can handle for one season! So what other snacks can we keep around to keep us happy and healthy with the munchies hit?
1. Almonds & Pistachios. Really, I can’t imagine a snack list that doesn’t have almonds and pistachios on it. They are filling, portable, and require no refrigeration or prep. Also, as nuts go, these two are relatively low fat, if that matters to you. Plus, pistachios require that you shell them, which slows you down and lets you feel fuller, faster. Just don’t eat the whole can at once: think about a dozen almonds and two dozen pistachios as a great snack.
2. Apples. As we ease into fall, apples are coming back into season! Hooray! With all of that fiber and crunchy goodness, apples are a snack that will leave you feeling super satisfied. Extra hungry? Try spreading some peanut or other nut butter on apple slices for a bit of salty-sweet heaven!
3. Ice Pops & Fruit Bars. Hey, it’s not cold yet, so a cool sweet treat might be just what you’re craving! Not only are frozen treats fun, but enjoying them slowly will help you feel satisfied. If you’re worried about all of that processed sugar, try one of the options that is all fruit juice. Or better yet, make your own with whatever juice combination you like best! Cute molds are available at places like Target or Crate & Barrel.
4. Tasty Water Add-Ins. The truth is, friends, sometimes when we think we’re hungry, we’re really thirsty. But sometimes a glass of water or iced tea isn’t all that appealing. At times like this, I really enjoy “Energy Fizz Sticks” from Arbonne. They are a bit sweet, a bit carbonated, and really encourage me to keep drinking water. You can also try the concentrated flavor drops available at any grocery. Regardless, enjoy a glass of water before you snack, just in case it’s thirst!
5. Carrot “Chips.” One of the niftiest convenience foods I’ve found at the store are carrots sliced like wavy potato chips. (I know, I know, I should slice my own. Too bad.) These bad boys are crunchy and delicious! And they’re perfect for scooping up some guacamole or hummus, both of which are filling and full of protein and good fats.
6. “Pop-able” Fruit. Small fruit that you can just pop into your mouth make a fabbo snack. Think raspberries, blueberries, grapes, and cherries. Depending on where you are, these fresh treats might still be in season. (And even if they’re not, your store will still have them, just at a higher cost.) They’re sweet, they’re pretty, and they have fiber to fill you up. Extra bonus: Try some berries on nonfat yogurt. Extra Extra bonus: Freeze them for a cool, sweet treat!
7. Snack-sized Baggies. Yeah, I know this is kind of cheating. But friends, mindless snacking is not good! Get yourself some snack-sized baggies (or those adorable, tiny storage tubs), so that you can portion out your snack. The research is clear that, when we eat straight out of the container, we eat more than we intended. My advice: Take your favorite snacks and divvy them up in multiple baggies before you’re hungry, so that when the urge to snack hits, you can just grab your baggy and enjoy!
Becky Eason, PhD, is an Associate Certified Coach and Certified Leadership Coach. She would love to come with you on your journey for wellness and a happy heart. Learn more on her website: wequestforwellness.com